"engaging my senses defines the kind of life i

"Engaging all my senses defines me, the kind of life I live and the life I will leave."

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Serving of Chicken Soup for My Soul

A couple of Sundays ago, I attended a fireside that was life-changing.  I should have written about it as soon as I got home so I could at least convey the burning of my spirit, at least through words, after listening to Dan Clark, author of the famous book "Chicken Soup for the Soul". What an amazing man and a great speaker he is!

I imagined that the burning feeling I had would immediately subside but it stayed with me. It is a burning feeling to be a better person, a better fellowman, a better disciple of Christ. Keeping that feeling burning is a daily struggle but it won't be impossible if the desire to do so is present where that burning feeling springs from.

I have learned from Dan Clark that serving others which is the essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ allows us to be connected with each other at a higher level. The experiences that we have with others are more meaningful which create more meaningful friendships and relationships. Giving time for others in service, allows us to be more appreciative of what we have and not complain about what we lack. The gospel is not learning to know, it is learning to do. It is an action word--a verb. We demonstrate our love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ by lending a helping hand, by reaching out to others even in the simplest and smallest way. It makes a difference--we make a difference.

When we serve others, we are able to find out who we really are. We find our worth, our purpose. We discover who the people we serve really are. We are all children of God. We are one big family. When we realize that, our hearts become open, we become more accepting. Understanding others becomes easier. Our minds work with our hearts to make room for love to share with others. It is in losing ourselves in the service of others that we find ourselves (Mahatma Gandhi).

I do try to make a concerted effort to have a ready hand to help someone no matter who that person is but I am also guilty of being too focused sometimes on what is going on with my life that I overlook the needs of others. Nevertheless, when I do get a chance to serve others, the gratification I get from it is incomparable. It is a great antidote when I am feeling down. It lifts me up when I am able to lift someone else up. The world becomes more beautiful when you are able to add the beauty of your heart and soul to it. That is the power of serving others.


"A drop of kindness can quench the thirst of a dry soul."~Dinah~

No comments:

Post a Comment